Following Thanksgiving, many people know how to take advantage of highly commercialized Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals. However, few people know about Giving Tuesday, the antidote to a five day commercial binge, which allows families, communities, and organizations to participate and then collaborate in global giving and philanthropic efforts.
#GivingTuesday kicks off the holiday giving season by bringing together people around the world on social media outlets to support global philanthropy. The idea is simple: generate a conversation about giving. An individual or group first donates to a nonprofit organization and then spreads the word about it on social media, encouraging others to do the same.
I was curious about the origins of #GivingTuesday; so I did a little research. A couple interesting facts that I discovered:
- 2015 marks the fourth year of #GivingTuesday.
- #GivingTuesday originated in my hometown of NYC at The 92nd Street Y to celebrate and encourage a diverse group of individuals, organizations, and communities to give.
- In partnership with the United Nations Foundation, #GivingTuesday now has over 30,000 partners comprised of small businesses, nonprofits, government agencies and large corporations in 68 countries.
Pretty cool, huh? To combat the shopping hangover and give back, here are 3 ways for you to get involved with #GivingTuesday:
1. Pick a nonprofit to support. Are you having a tough time finding a nonprofit you’d like to give to? We highly recommend:
Girls For A Change (GFAC) is a national organization that inspires girls to have the voice, ability and problem solving capacity to speak up, be decision makers, create visionary change and realize their full potential. A gift to Girls For A Change on #GivingTuesday will support Girl Action Teams and Girl Ambassadors Ambassadors - achieving social change through the hands of middle school, high school and college age girls, thereby producing broad, lasting impact on communities throughout the U.S.A. and World-Wide.
Rocky Mountain MicroFinance Institute (RMMFI) is a regional non-profit organization that provides learning, lending, and coaching to develop Community Entrepreneurs who build businesses as they advance along the pathway to self-sufficiency and self-worth. RMMFI’s brand of microfinance combines affordable and approachable business support services and flexible microloans to help individuals turn a good idea into an income-generating business. Donate here
2. Share your enthusiasm and information on how others can also donate to your nonprofit on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Don’t forget to provide the nonprofit’s information and donation links - these are crucial to help others in your networks take action.
3. Pose for an #UNselfie. Founders of the #GivingTuesday campaign have come up with the #UNselfie as a way to share your reasons for giving. Remember to post a picture!
#GivingTuesday is an essential part of many nonprofits end of year fundraising campaigns. As a result, there are tons of amazing and worthy organizations participating in #GivingTuesday. Please consider donating to Girls For A Change and Rocky Mountain MicroFinance Institute and join us and the global community on December 1st to celebrate the spirit of giving and philanthropy.